Friday 16 May 2014

Always a parent....

I have been coaching parents of teenagers for about 2 years now and teens learning to drive is always an interesting topic. I am now the parent of a teen who has passed their driving test (today), first time! I am a very proud mother and really pleased that my child is mastering a skill which will create lots of opportunities for him (including freedom).

As a coach I understand that parents sometimes need help to build good relationships with their children, supporting their child as they grow in independence and start to make their way in the world.

Today the parent in me is struggling with the coach. The parent is being ultra cautious telling me that I am letting my child loose in a vehicle which requires lots of good decisions to stay safe and avoid some of the unfortunate things that happen on our roads. The gremlin in me is conjuring up road rage, accidents and all sorts of other horrors :-(

The coach in me is telling me that he has passed his test and is safe to drive. Having travelled with him in the car I know he makes good decisions and is capable of driving well. Learning to drive is a wonderful experience and helps your teen to develop their confidence and self esteem. 

So my son has gone out for the evening to a youth group, taking his younger brother with him. How am I feeling? Slightly nervous and I am sure lots of parents can relate to that. My Dad still worries about my sister (who is 56 years old) driving home to the West Country from London and awaits her text or call to say she is home safely.

We will always be concerned parents for our children, after all we want the best for them, love and care for them. As a loving parent my goal is to make sure that my teen can make good decisions, talk to me about their worries and concerns and help them grow in confidence and independence. My son learning to drive is another stage in his life. Like all the other stages where parents can feel a change happening such as children learning to walk, going to school, secondary school, leaving home to go to college, it's a learning experience for me too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment